ruminations about architecture and design

Tuesday, May 24, 2011

portland maine

A painting, but very effective at capturing a part of Portland. Was there this past weekend and enjoyed the architecture quite a bit. I also went to my first BJ's, and I did not enjoy that architecture so much.

Portland, from what I observed, is primarily a city of wooden houses that are generally well detailed and in dense neighborhoods. This combination has led to some devastating fires, but the city has recovered. To be honest, I'm not sure what is holding the place together and sustaining its apparent prosperity. Government contracts at the Bath shipyard probably have a significant impact on the salary level of some people in Portland, which in turn has a trickle down that can support the quaint shops and stores by the Old Port. I saw some substantial and restrained residential and hospitality projects under construction. Quite a few homeless people as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment