ruminations about architecture and design

Monday, May 5, 2014

the fog of design

Should a designer be consistent in his or her approach to the architectural process? To what extent can the client be trusted to be aware of needs and desires? Until I retire (circa 2015) I'll be wrestling with this. I have several clients right now who do not know what they want. I find myself in the role of providing options, but every time I present something I try not to make it appear as though a conclusion has been reached. Even if I don't trust a client, I need to hear the phrase "Let's do this" before I close a chapter on that phase of the service.

Some clients employ judo on me, which puts me in a bind, because I don't want to be the one who says "black" when it should be a dark grey.

No comments:

Post a Comment