ruminations about architecture and design

Friday, June 13, 2014

the end of product

Now, aside from the fact that I'm down on the Apple corporation, I'm still strongly leaning towards buying my wife an iPhone. I even took the step of visiting the Boston Apple store for the first time ever. I was mildly impressed by the architecture. I found the spiral stair a bit awkward, but appreciated its craft and sculpture.

Now that Steve Jobs is gone I don't think there will be any real product revolutions in electronics for another decade. Google glasses might be the closest thing to a "new" concept, but flat touch screens have made their mark and can enjoy a major foothold for the next century.

Linked data is the only thing I'm looking forward to. Google seems to know enough about me to keep some of my junk in order, but I'm expecting a lot more. The computer I'm using now is pretty much a stand-alone piece of plastic and wires. It's utility is profound and it's fragility is something I don't respect enough. One good fire would put me out of business for a while.

Fortunately, most of what I've produced in the past few years has been built. The unbuilt stuff is unmemorable. I have some personal items, but they're of limited value in the grand scheme of things.

No comments:

Post a Comment