ruminations about architecture and design

Monday, July 21, 2014

does it work?



Functionality and aesthetics are inseparable in architecture. Engineers can take a pass on the emotional impact of many of their decisions, but comprehensive design demands a consideration of how people will react in what will seem to be irrational ways to the consequences of small details. "Does it look pretty?" is a more relevant question than "does it work?" This imbalance of power leads to many sleepless nights for designers. With regard to the pictures shown above, I am acting in the capacity of draftsman. I'm more concerned about representative aesthetics than ultimate design impact. But, I'd be lying if I claimed to not have an opinion.

 I favor a more expensive solution.

No comments:

Post a Comment