ruminations about architecture and design

Sunday, September 12, 2010

In memory of

So, yesterday marks the anniversary of an important turning point in American and World History. To the best of my knowledge, I didn't know anyone who perished in the 9/11 attack, although I did have a friend who worked in the WTC for a brief spell in the late nineties.
In terms of architecture, there was always more emphasis placed on the Twin Towers as iconography than as useful space for human activities. So goes our bias.

My first day on the job at an architecture firm was THAT day. I remember the surreal feeling surrounding everything. Partly, I am grateful that I did not have television at home so that I was spared some of the images until later. I remember how a co-worker in my office remarked that there would be massive retribution for the attack. Indeed there was, but to what positive effect?

I also recall how I confided to a friend a few months later that the imagery of the towers collapsing was beautiful. She grinned, and agreed with me. Maybe we are all a bit sociopathic when it comes to destruction. For more on this subject, see Clockwork Orange, The.

No comments:

Post a Comment