ruminations about architecture and design

Saturday, January 21, 2012

the shape of things to come-disruptive technology editions part 3947

This is a chart of market share trends of computing devices over time. The blogger, asymco.com, makes the argument that current smart phone/smart pad devices are upending the traditional PC/Mac platforms. I agree with that even though I'm writing this blog on a PC that is geometrically and functionally similar to what was around in the mid 90's. They don't do as much logging with chainsaws as they used to, either. (That's an inside joke, sorry)

I'm still plotting my essay about New York. The theme is going to be dichotomy. Very heavy Hegelian like stuff, but probably not, I've never read Hegel and may die before I do with no regrets.

On the subject of technology, driverless cars are still on my mind a lot. The ramifications are immense and I don't think that anyone has sat down and thought it through. At least, I haven't come across any literature on it in the media. Let me qualify that--googling now---of course, people have been talking about it, and have made the same points I was going to make. I have little original to add. I predict that robotic transportation systems will become the standard in less than 100 years. The unexpected consequences will be more positive than negative. He said with a grin.

No comments:

Post a Comment