ruminations about architecture and design

Friday, January 18, 2013

the michael graves post


Towers of Ilium will claim that it has never had strong feelings about the Portland Building designed by Michael Graves. Some people regard it as ugly. I have heard that the small windows make for a rather dark interior and I've never been able to figure out how it relates to its urban context. (Note to self: A company called "Google" has this thing called "street view"--must try it sometime)

I was introduced to the building in some far distant history of architecture class and so I tend to regard it with academic detachment. "Oh yes, that icon of Po-Mo architecture by the guy who designs blenders for Target." It's all a way of avoiding a really critical assessment of the place as Architecture. I can prolong the cop-out by claiming that I'll never go there so I can't honestly have an opinion. Ultimately, I should have an opinion, even if my knowledge is incomplete.

So, Towers of Ilium will now claim that it looks pretty dumb. Thank goodness there's nothing like it in Boston.

No comments:

Post a Comment