ruminations about architecture and design

Tuesday, February 22, 2011

all things cities

Here is Vancouver, Canada, which according to some recent survey is the most "livable" city on the planet. How about in winter?

While we're on the topic of cities, I should mention Ed Glaeser, who is the new superstar economist from Harvard and who has been referred to on this blog previously. I haven't read his new book, and I probably won't, since he's preaching to the choir, but I applaud him for drawing attention to the importance of cities.

I am reading a book by a fellow named Thad Williamson right now called Sprawl, Justice & Citizenship which ambitiously charts a way towards analyzing the comprehensive effects of sprawl from an ethical point of view. It is a well researched book. I tend to agree with his definition of sprawl as low density, automobile oriented communities.

No comments:

Post a Comment