ruminations about architecture and design

Wednesday, June 8, 2011

something that puzzles me

Why do hospitals spend money on elaborate architecture and advertising? Many hospitals are non-profits, and  for a non-profit that serves such a critical function like medicine, why are resources devoted to the design of spaces like this? I am being too cynical, but the second part of my question--why do hospitals take out full page ads in newspapers, is something that I find more disturbing. Competition amongst health care providers leads to positional arms races--which cannot benefit patient care or caregivers. But, I am naive, so will we just admire this lovely space at Bellevue Hospital in New York.

1 comment:

  1. In a city, at least, patients have a choice among hospitals, so money spent on advertizing can bring in new "customers." I know when I had to pick a facility for some pretty major health care work, I was influenced by advertizing. The hospital in question had gone to a lot of effort to advertize that it offered that service, and in fact had refurbished that area of its hospital. I was also influenced by the hospital having a satellite branch in my neighborhood, but I noticed the ads first.
    Architecturally...as long as I can find my way around the place, I'm happy. I've been lost in so many hospitals...
    The photo reminds me of the lobby of Massachusetts College of Pharmacy. Bellevue, too, seems to have stuck a new wing onto a pre-existing external facade. I always found that disorienting at Mass Pharm.

    ReplyDelete