ruminations about architecture and design

Saturday, November 19, 2011

controversial park design

Maya Lin has received negative feedback from some people in Newport, Rhode Island over her redesign of a public* park. From what little research I've done on the design and the existing conditions I'm having trouble understanding why some people are so upset. The controversial elements of the design are some landscape features that mimic the foundations of buildings that used to be on the site. These palimpsests (I've never used that word before in writing) are described by Lin as outdoor meeting areas. They will feature fountains and seating. I happen to think that her plan is an improvement on the current condition and I have no trouble at all with her narrative and design concept. She creates an event in an otherwise pleasant, but unexceptional, public place. Her plan doesn't have the simplicity of some landscape designs, but it doesn't rely on gimmicks or ambiguous interventions. A person could use this park in complete ignorance of her attempt at a historical reference and not be confused or upset.

*I'm uncertain who owns the park, but since it is open to the public, it is, in my opinion, Public. OWS is not there. Yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment