ruminations about architecture and design

Tuesday, December 6, 2011

carpenters center in boston

This is a picture of the Carpenters Center in Boston. The photo is taken from the  non-highway side of the building so it may look unfamiliar to people who ride past daily on the train or in their car. I had an opportunity to observe this while it was under construction and its been one of the more interesting things to look at during my commute into the city. Is it good architecture? From what I can tell from the outside, I think it is, mainly because it speaks to the diverse character of the trade of carpentry by referencing wood products through its use of multi-colored alumninum panels. Some people would say that it is dishonest, but I think a large scale building has to be made of durable materials, and wood, despite its attributes, is not when used in an outdoor setting. There is some unintended irony in the fact the building was completed just as the economy was faltering and a large percentage of carpenters were being laid off. This structure represents a long term investment in the future and I don't regard it as a symbol of hubris. Labor organizations, despite their shaky status in the current political environment, are a fundamentally positive force in the development of the nation. That a building should commemorate that in a dramatic way is only fitting.

1 comment:

  1. Thank you. Just the out loud ruminating that I was hoping for. I hadn't thought of the charge of artifice caused by the aluminum panels, but it's a good point. I'm inclined to be a bit more scoffing, but that might just be in my nature. Furthermore, I wouldn't have even noticed it if you hadn't pointed it out, so that shows what my criticism is worth.

    I love that you took a request. Now can we hear Billy Idol's "White Wedding?" Just for the irony...

    ReplyDelete