ruminations about architecture and design

Saturday, February 18, 2012

the dwell phenomenon

I don't think I've ever mentioned Dwell magazine on this blog. Since I work for a firm that is thoroughly traditional in its design aesthetic (whatever that means), I've tended to approach Dwell and its brand of modern residences with a "ho hum" attitude. When I've flipped through it, or seen its projects second hand on Unhappy Hipsters, I've only occasionally seen things that I would feel proud to copy. Maybe I haven't worshipped at the altar of Mies and Corbu hard enough.

Dwell does serve as a good example of how architectural photography is in the business of falsehood, diversion and capturing unlikely and idealized moments in designed spaces. In photo spreads in shelter magazines there is no dirty laundry, no real service areas, and hardly any people, unless they happened to be posed in contrived positions. This sleight of hand is necessary. Perhaps we do not want to be reminded of all the mundane things that we do with architecture and how fleeting some of our most memorable experiences are.

1 comment:

  1. In an entirely useless and self-interested gesture, my first noticing here is that you've chosen not to use the oxford comma.

    All of the terrible things that you say about me are true.

    ReplyDelete