ruminations about architecture and design

Wednesday, September 5, 2012

star destroyer architecture


September may be shaping up to be a fantasy theme month at Towers of Ilium. My last post was about the architecture of America in the 1940s. A few days ago I was in Tolkien territory--both are equally fictional and absurd.

So now, George Lucas gets a turn. Sci-fi architecture can be pretty dumb looking, and Episodes I through III demonstrated how CGI run amok can overwhelm the suspension of disbelief. The Imperial Cruiser, on the other hand, will always enjoy a position as a symbol of the Evil Empire that is unambiguously terrifying. Wedge shaped design motifs tend to be aggressive and tyrannical--and I include church steeples in that category. It's the geometry of weaponry.

I wonder what people in other countries think when American warships sail into their ports.

1 comment:

  1. I came across your blog after searching for the etymology of "sacred"... and went to the anatomical wiki on "sacrum", which this Imperial Cruiser strongly resembles.
    It occurs to me that at least one "topless tower of Ilium" could be the human head... since the 'wings' of the pelvic bone are called Ilium... and support the sacrum (from both sides). The fact that the incorporation of the Mind as the 'topmost part' of the tower would make it as 'topless' as I can conceive...
    Thanks for a fine contribution to this morning's stroll along/among the interwebs. ^..^

    ReplyDelete