ruminations about architecture and design

Monday, June 17, 2013

the colorado experiment

Why do people live in the so-called "Mountain States?" I have a friend who is moving to Colorado and I'm curious as to what extent the attraction of the wild west plays into people's perception of the place. I have a set of images and stereotypes in my head, and I think that some of them are true. If there is a frontier mentality, it plays out in places like Colorado, Arizona, and Wyoming. Of course, now we also have the great fracking boom in the Dakotas (which won't last long).

My friend and his wife will no doubt buy a house and settle in. I can imagine him sitting on his front porch staring down the length of his mile long dirt driveway. He will have Remington .270 rifle with a high powered scope next to his chair and a half-empty bottle of Wild Turkey that he takes a periodic swallow from. The heat of a summer day will beat down on the tin roof of his house and the harsh wind will blow a bit of cold air down from the mountains behind him.
It's the type of place that brings out madness and conviction.

I can't wait to visit.

No comments:

Post a Comment