ruminations about architecture and design

Tuesday, March 29, 2011

avoiding this


I don't think I'll be able to finish reading the book Zeitoun, although I recommend it without reservation to anyone. This is simply part of a larger pattern of avoiding thinking about or studying the effects of Hurricane Katrina on New Orleans. The city will recover eventually, and will emerge stronger than it was before, but that has no meaning on those who died, and for those that have moved away forever, it is small consolation.

What stands out about Katrina for me is the dismal performance of so many people, particularly those in authority, preceding and following the disaster. The people of New Orleans deserved better. I am concerned how we will react as a nation to the next catastrophe--whether we will remember Katrina and avoid repeating some of the more egregious errors.

No comments:

Post a Comment