ruminations about architecture and design

Thursday, March 17, 2011

more on japan

I watched some video footage that showed a town being engulfed by the tsunami in less than six minutes. I'm amazed at how well cars float. I was more amazed when buildings starting to come loose and float also. The human tragedy is incredible and my heart goes out to the people who stood on rooftops watching their world being destroyed.

My house is less than a mile from salt water and although I put the odds of something this bad happening at very low I am mindful of the vulnerability that is inherent in living on a restless planet. Whenever advocates of nuclear power talk about how radioactive waste can be stored in "geologically stable" places I have to snort. Geology and stability are mutually exclusive. Even in the course of a human lifetime we can witness, and be party to, incredible changes to our landscape.

No comments:

Post a Comment