ruminations about architecture and design

Friday, April 15, 2011

forgetfulness of things past

This building no longer exists and I doubt anyone cares.

Yesterday I made the claim that Brasilia was a singular creation. I was wrong about that. After reflecting on the matter, and doing some cursory research, I now consider the place to be less exceptional than I originally thought. Because Brasilia is often portrayed, in words and images, as a unified expression of the ideals of modernism, it is easy to overlook that its ultimate development path now resembles practically every other city on the planet. What I mean by this is that its growth and architecture is becoming more organic over time. Also, the planning motifs that characterize the original model of the city are consistently classical in their origin. The one exception is the traffic planning, but that can be regarded as a reactive gesture.

No comments:

Post a Comment