ruminations about architecture and design

Thursday, May 19, 2011

the end of a way of information?

This is a post where I make predictions that will turn out to be wrong.

I'm thinking about the end of books, specifically books that are sheafs of pages bound together. The primary way we absorb text on the internet is more similar to scrolls, but there are always ways to link out to other information or search for specific words or phrases. I wonder if books influenced the way we think. We have the phrase "turn the page" to indicate how past events are replaced by future possibilities in a very definite way. I don't regard the internet as an inferior way to transfer information and learn about things, and I don't think that what we have now is a stopping point. I have limited regard for Twitter and other limit based text transmission systems. No one wears bustles or bowler hats anymore.

No comments:

Post a Comment