ruminations about architecture and design

Monday, May 2, 2011

for I dwell here in Arcadia also

This is a picture of a street in Abbottabad, Pakistan, the final place Usama bin Ladin lived. I found this on the following blog: http://www.heavenlybeautypakistan.blogspot.com/ which has some lovely pictures of the town and the surrounding hillsides.

I am tempted to say some rather contrary things about the incident, but I am mindful of how my reputation could be impacted by the wide readership of this blog. Death came in the night, and I helped pay for it. Some people seem surprised that the "Sheik" was in an urban area, but I think that was a reasonable decision on his part. It is harder for a person to try to live in the boondocks and remain anonymous than amongst other people. If you are trying to hide in a rural area or a wilderness, everyone will find out about it quickly because that is the nature of things. When you are in a dense neighborhood, privacy is accomplished more easily. A closed door and a drawn blind is a more effective camouflage than a thousand trees and hills.

No comments:

Post a Comment