ruminations about architecture and design

Friday, August 19, 2011

new blade runner movie

So, since everyone else is talking about Ridley Scott's plan to make another Blade Runner movie, I thought that I'd waste some computer time
 on it also.

As a story, I think it's cracked--full of plot holes, inconsistencies and a generally implausible narrative. Harrison Ford looks confused, but he plays it. Even so, it's better than the Philip K. Dick original story, which is just completely messed up and nearly unreadable.

But, Blade Runner is about the architecture of a future, and not a very pleasant one at that. The film manages to create a simultaneous effect of overwhelming scale and insanity provoking claustrophobia--all in the same scene. I've only seen it on the big screen once, and it was an eye opener for me. I'm worried that Scott will go CGI crazy in his planned film. The temptation to add visual clutter is overwhelming, and the ultimate effect could be boredom.

No comments:

Post a Comment