ruminations about architecture and design

Tuesday, August 16, 2011

thoughts on the 9/11 memorial

In general, I think that the design by Arad and Walker is pretty good. There is lots of public space, walkways, trees, benches and decent southern exposure. The office workers will have a nice place to walk  and eat lunch, and presumably, contemplate the events that resulted in some second-rate real estate being transformed into a park. The scale of the tower pools may be a bit overwhelming, but that is part of the symbolism. I'm worried about maintenance for the pumps that keep the water circulating. It will be embarassing if they break down.
I've travelled to ground zero a few times since the attack and it's been hard for me to visualize what could, or should go there. When I was in N.Y. back in the 90's I never bothered to make a trip down there so I have no frame of reference to compare what they're building to what used to be there. It is very much Manhattan--big buildings, busy streets, people walking with a sense of purpose.

No comments:

Post a Comment