ruminations about architecture and design

Sunday, July 15, 2012

doping, drama, and inconsistency


Should athletes take drugs to improve performance? Well, gosh, what's a drug? How do we define an athlete? How can performance be measured? These categories do not make for a clear-cut situation.
I have used caffeine as a stimulant on more than one occasion, but I can't determine whether it made the difference in an outcome at the time. I've also never been a caliber athlete.

I'm wondering if there's a new model for dramatic performance. I'm toying with the idea of a parallel pit theatre---similar to a black box, but even more claustrophobic. John Milius would understand what I'm going for here. I happen to like small venues, but they have obvious economic restraints.

What is the purpose of performance? Do we like to see excellence in action? Is there an upper limit to our expectations for performance and does that even matter. The world records in some track and field events have stagnated, but that doesn't discourage people from training for the Olympics.

No comments:

Post a Comment