ruminations about architecture and design

Sunday, January 13, 2013

scale, proportion, and context


This is a building I'm designing. No, it's actually a piece of sculpture. No, it's intended to be a fully functional piece of furniture. It's a symbolic gesture. By now, anyone who bothers to read this blog knows that towers of ilium cannot be trusted. Perhaps I have a future in politics?

Why did Google sell SketchUp to Trimble? Why did Trimble want SketchUp?

I'm so far off topic now, that I don't think I should even attempt to talk about scale, proportion, or context. I try to make the claim that architecture isn't about dimensions, it's about proportions, but contractors really prefer it when I give them a number to work with. In some circumstances, I can tolerate errors of greater than 2" and in others, I get frustrated when a finish carpenter gets sloppy with some hairline gap in a joint. It's all a matter of context and scale.

No comments:

Post a Comment