ruminations about architecture and design

Wednesday, August 6, 2014

universal designs


I didn't design this. I don't know who did. In some respects it's hard to say that a structure like this needs to be designed. Functional designs do require decision making on the part of humans, but it's reasonable to assume that similar people, in completely different places and at different periods in time, will arrive at similar design decisions. The main source of differences in design is the materials available, the tools to work the materials, and the dominant climate. In coastal climates nearly everywhere in the world you can find wooden houses built on stilts because it's a reasonable response to the environment.

If I was motivated, I could design a better shed than this. At the moment, I'm not motivated, so I'll take advantage of SketchUp warehouse for something this basic.

No comments:

Post a Comment