ruminations about architecture and design

Tuesday, November 16, 2010

the world moved on


This is a photograph of the Old Armory on Commonwealth Ave. that had been repurposed to house the indoor track of Boston University. I have hardly any memory of this facade of the building. The times that I visited it were always in the winter and I knew it then as a vast, dingy cavern filled with track athletes, coaches, and the occasional spectator.
I had little reason to go out to street to admire its architecture, and even if I had, it probably would have been too dark to see anything.
I remember taking the train past one day shortly after it had been torn down. I recall being amused. I think the building was used well. Its renovation costs were trumped by its real estate value to Boston University. That's what happens to buildings in a city.

No comments:

Post a Comment