ruminations about architecture and design

Sunday, March 25, 2012

the end of art after a fashion

Part post, part bleg. What happened to art after the 60's? I'm familiar with the various movements in architecture and popular film, but visual art and sculpture seemed to have faded in importance and vitality after Warhol. Arguably, things were in a state of decline while Warhol was the "pop art man." I half-remember lectures about Joseph Beuys, but they came after the lectures on Brancusi so my appreciation was dampened.

Andy Goldsworthy is doing good things, Sol Lewitt is still practicing in spite of the fact that he's dead, and Mark Bradford had an impressive exhibit in Boston a few years ago. Maybe it's not as grim as I'm making it out to be, but I have trouble imagining a person like Monet, enshrined in a rural paradise, producing masterworks.

1 comment:

  1. I wish I had the energy to challenge you on this. Brush up on your Beuys. You'll be happy you did. He burned things...and it was worth it.

    ReplyDelete