ruminations about architecture and design

Wednesday, March 28, 2012

qualified retraction on statements made about mies van der rohe

I used the term "inhuman" to describe his architecture, and after some consideration, I've decided that such a description is too harsh. Most of what we perceive as "Miesian" consists of poor copies of his lavish and austere detailing.

Also, I gave him too much credit for his influence on the character of our modern buildings and cities. Most of the built area of the world is defined by older and anonymous architecture that conformed to the economic needs of its period. I wish I knew exactly what percentage of the total built area of American architecture was made out of wood, but I'll venture to say that it is over 50%--most in the form of detached, single family homes.

No comments:

Post a Comment