ruminations about architecture and design

Friday, March 23, 2012

one of the best places in manhattan

I just got back from New York and this is the only graphic evidence I have of my trip. It is a quick sketch of Paley Park, and since it is nearly illegible I will post an image that I stole from the Internet

This wonderful space stands in stark contrast to the bombastic idiocy of Rockefeller Center--which never fails to underwhelm me. I'm puzzled why spaces like Paley Park aren't designed and built more often. Possibly because they would be too small to create the volume of attendance that would justify public upkeep. I'm wondering how successful it would be if the waterfall were smaller and quieter.

On an unrelated topic I am announcing the formation of an organization dedicated to creating a Concrete Atlantis sculpture and folly park somewhere in Massachusetts or upstate New York. This park would showcase concrete landscaping elements amidst a lush series of gardens. It would be a great tourist attraction and make a big splash in the art world. 

No comments:

Post a Comment