ruminations about architecture and design

Wednesday, February 20, 2013

meanwhile on the inside


I start a lot of blog posts with "Meanwhile..." If it's getting monotonous, I suggest that you refer all comments to my P.R. firm, Golden, Whitney, Aaron, and Peter. Actually, there is no P.R. firm by that name--towers of ilium can neither afford a P.R. firm nor generate enough controversy to justify hiring one.

So, the picture above is of the interior of that famous Michael Graves building Portland. It looks like fairly harmless office space. The ceiling is a bit low and I hope that the light fixtures have been replaced in recent years. The cubicles are a bit odd looking. Office space is something that puzzles me as a designer. I prefer run-down spaces with character. A lot of office space built from the 1960's onward seems to have a consistency that defies (or is enhanced by) the ten year renovations cycle. Companies make investments in reception areas and lobbies, but work spaces are desperately routine in character and function. At least no one can smoke indoors anymore.

No comments:

Post a Comment