ruminations about architecture and design

Friday, February 1, 2013

thom mayne again and again and again


It reminds me of that crawler vehicle in Star Wars. I mentioned in my last post that I wanted to discuss fundamental geometries of building components. I better make a list of that before I forget:

Block
Stick
Fastener
Panel
Conduit
Fabric

I don't know how to simplify it past that. But, more on that later, because I want to discuss the Perot Museum by Thom Mayne. It's in Texas, which makes his use of precast concrete panels very climate appropriate. I think that museums are a little too easy for innovative architecture because you don't have to deal with as many windows. Exterior geometry that is fantastic becomes a design requirement. I predicted in a post a few years ago that the museum building boom might be slowing down. I might be wrong.

No comments:

Post a Comment