ruminations about architecture and design

Tuesday, February 5, 2013

no specific topic tuesday


Something I designed from a few years ago. It's not a spectacular photograph, nor is it spectacular architecture, but I promised something architectural in my last post, so I like to demonstrate that I'm reliable.

Meanwhile, I'm trying to think of relevant topics for the Detailing Class I'll be co-teaching for the second time. The class starts in five weeks, so I have too much time to prepare. I would like to work in more Building Science issues, but I'm not sure how well that will go over. Students want specific examples and direction, and theoretical discussions about moisture movement and abstract diagrams of walls and roofs doesn't do much. Certainly not in 8 class sessions.

I'm trying to think of better ways to make people think about water. If you can't design a building that stays dry, then what value are you creating as a designer? Some people spend most of their lives working on interior design problems, and unless you're a go-it-alone residential architect, you won't be in a position where you're solely responsible for every detail of a building enclosure. I feel that the most important lesson I can impart has to do with thinking about walls as an assembly of multi-stage drainage planes. My teaching colleague has a nice presentation on curtain wall systems where she discusses two stage joints. Such a concept is universal to building design and has been learned with great pain over hundreds of years.

And then there's air barriers.

No comments:

Post a Comment