ruminations about architecture and design

Thursday, July 25, 2013

arcadia and the yearning for desolation


Google images delivers some eclectic things when you type "Arcadia." I found a rock band, some sci-fi stuff and this charming painting by Thomas Cole. Tomorrow, if all goes well, I'll spend some time in a place that resembles Arcadia. It will be a refreshing and rejuvenating experience--if we survive the car trip.

Since I tend to deal with the graphic depiction of fantasy, I place a high value on impossible places from literature and history. An architect has the enviable task of projecting desire into reality--usually in the form of stainless steel appliances, stone countertops, and formal living spaces that are used infrequently. Somedays I feel crass and cheap, but I take pleasure in those moments when things come together nicely. There, I admit it, I am Martha Stewart.

I had a random thought about the possibility that self driving cars could proliferate in Saudi Arabia first because it would give more autonomy to women. It's nice to hope.

No comments:

Post a Comment