ruminations about architecture and design

Thursday, July 4, 2013

details and decoration


Detailing is a discipline in architecture that involves the method of describing how different parts of the building fit together. Details can be visible, or as is often the case in many modern structures, hidden by other building elements.

Decoration is too frequently regarded as a bad thing in architecture. I blame it partly on Adolf Loos, but his polemic on Ornament came from the age he was in, and that we still occupy to some extent. An iPhone is not "decorated" and consequently, its value is independent of any special holders or geegaws that are applied to its case.

Where am I going with this? The building above is decorated, but it is poorly detailed. The balustrade on the roof looks like a maintenance nightmare to my eye.  The exterior trim was applied as an afterthought because  there is very little proportional relationship to the windows and the door. I don't mind this building--I've done a lot worse and I appreciate that somebody took the time to think of a way to make beauty.

No comments:

Post a Comment