ruminations about architecture and design

Friday, February 14, 2014

the amazon model of commerce

I won't deny that I did nearly all of my Christmas shopping on Amazon, but I can't claim to have any brand loyalty to the company. I know that every dollar I save when I click "Buy" is the result of poorly paid warehouse workers who remain hidden from sight. Of course, every object I buy comes from the labor of poorly paid factory workers, so there's little justice anywhere.

Amazon pretends that it doesn't exist in an architectural sense, but courts and state sales taxes are beginning to feel differently. In the history of human communication there has never been a good distinction between data and the physical world. Data manifests itself as matter, and from the point of view of quantum physics, there's no matter all--just data interacting with itself.

I hope Google keeps paying their electric bill so this blog can continue to exist.

No comments:

Post a Comment