ruminations about architecture and design

Tuesday, May 6, 2014

once again rudolph


Paul Rudolph has a large footprint in 20th century architecture. His volume and diversity of work continues to amaze and frighten me. Just yesterday I came across an article about this government building in Goshen, New York. The Wikipedia entry does not paint an encouraging picture of its prospects.

As much as I am convinced of the need for every building he built to be demolished, I admire the confidence of his designs and his mastery of geometry. He knew exactly what he was doing, and I don't doubt that his personality helped to sell many projects. I also admire his absolute betrayal of the tenets of Modernism. He abandoned functionality, regarded durability with contempt, and embraced his egotistical form-making with no sense of remorse about its negative impacts on the community.

No comments:

Post a Comment