ruminations about architecture and design

Wednesday, January 25, 2012

advances in architectural technology

I was very pleased when I built this computer model of a staircase in an AutoCad class eight years ago. It took too long and isn't graphically impressive, but it gave me a sense of accomplishment at the time. Since then, significant improvements have been made in computer rendering technology, and along with most designers, I would have trouble returning to a time when everything had to be done by hand.

One thing that I'm uncertain about is the linkage between the efficiency gained in the design world and actual construction of buildings. Contractors like to boast about their scheduling software and their coordinated BIM linked delivery systems. This software doesn't guarantee that anyone will show up on time and with the right information to do the job right. ,When I look at work being done in the field, it is still people on ladders and staging or telescoping lifts.  They use simple tools and touch every building component with their hands, often more than once. New insights into enclosure performance mean more attention to detail in the field and a more sophisticated approach to the construction process, but the skill, experience and craft are still more important than the documentation methodology in my opinion.

No comments:

Post a Comment