ruminations about architecture and design

Tuesday, January 31, 2012

the prefab home revolution continues

Shipped anywhere, including Mongolia. This is a custom designed, pre-fabricated house from Pacific Homes, which is based in Vancouver, Canada. I look at their work and shrug. This has been done before, and it will be done again. I hope that they don't overextend themselves as a company and try to focus on a niche market where their service makes sense.

Homebuilding statistics are constant on one point, and it bears repeating (which I do a lot on this blog)--Most houses--over 96% are site built and stick built. By hand, with inputs from a wide variety of trades. Assembly line principles can be applied to site built homes and are more effective and more efficient than anything done in a factory. After all, no construction site has to pay for lighting or air conditioning.

I'm rethinking my blog byline "ruminations about architecture and design." It makes me think of cows. Moo.

No comments:

Post a Comment