ruminations about architecture and design

Friday, January 20, 2012

new york styles

Mondrian is one of my favorite artists, but I'm more partial to his lesser known works, largely because I discovered him through a book from my college library that focused on a collection of his simpler compositions. It is a type of art I have no trouble copying, and not because it is easy, but because the variations are endless and always satisfying, like pancakes. Google images turns up examples of his famous works, so that's why we have an image of his work "Broadway." (Or is it Broadway Boogie Woogie? I'm too lazy to research it)

I have to spend some time thinking about  and doing research on New York City. I'm wondering if the place is overrated, which is a statement of heresy, but given the turbulent history of the city, its status as capital of the world is not a permanent position. In fact, it's a western bias and I've just acknowledged my guilt. If a stranger offered me an all expenses paid trip to any city in the world I'd pick New York. Bath would be my second choice.

1 comment:

  1. Only you would compare Mondrian to pancakes--and mean it as a sincere compliment.

    ReplyDelete