ruminations about architecture and design

Thursday, May 30, 2013

gardner museum addition


Everything designed by Renzo Piano photographs well. This picture isn't as flattering as it could be (oh dear, people use cars--and they park them in front of the architecture? horror!) but it shows how the addition to the Isabella Stewart Gardner Museum doesn't overpower the original structure. And, it doesn't rely on derivative geometry or materials to create an overt visual linkage. Piano took a conservative approach to the design, which I'm moderately critical of, but I'm sure he had political and logistical constraints.

I'm working on an addition project right now that is taxing me greatly. I wish I knew more, but I can't know everything, and what's worse is that I don't have the budget to hire the people who know everything. I'm worried that there are people in this world who regard paradise as a place where beauty, truth, and understanding are all replaced by bureaucracy.

No comments:

Post a Comment