ruminations about architecture and design

Thursday, May 23, 2013

oklahoma


When they rebuild in Oklahoma should all new houses be required to have one of these?
I am of the opinion that they should. I am also of the opinion that critical buildings like schools and hospitals should have special areas of refuge. While I am occasionally annoyed by some of the code requirements in Massachusetts with regard to building in high wind load coastal areas, I accept the letter of the law. Also, the wind loads we are required to deal with in most high hazard areas of Massachusetts are set at 110 mph. In a tornado, the wind speeds can exceed 300 mph, and it is not practical to design all areas of a building to withstand such tremendous forces.

Usually, towers of ilium leans libertarian, but as noted in the post yesterday, this blog is not to be trusted and is prone to frequent inconsistencies. I accept the fact that people will continue to live in Tornado Alley, and I accept that there is no place in the universe free of harm or hazard, but the impact of Murphy's law can be mitigated by a little bit of foresight. Sometimes.

No comments:

Post a Comment