ruminations about architecture and design

Wednesday, May 29, 2013

the end of the internet?

Or is it here to stay? As long as we have a little bit of electricity, we can keep the whole thing going. I wonder if the internet represents the end-point of human communication. Arguments for telepathy remain to be tested, and I'm not holding my breath, so it's tough to imagine a purely biological alternative. Wearable and embedded internet technologies are pretty much here in the form of smart-phones. I don't think that surgical implants will every gain ground--and not because of the "yuck" factor but because we know that the hardware needs to be replaced so frequently.

Could the internet cure superstition, or is that trait so hard-wired that it will co-opt technology? I find it convenient, on occasion, to search Bible phrases using Google.

I still contend that the big revolution was the telegraph.

No comments:

Post a Comment