ruminations about architecture and design

Monday, April 7, 2014

more of the same #45

My wife picked up the latest copyof Architectural Record, noticed that it was the annual "Houses" issue, and remarked: "Well, this won't be good." She flipped through it in less than 30 seconds.

In other news, I'm enjoying my book by Elizabeth Greenspan about the rebuilding of the WTC site. It makes me realized how detached I've been from the process. Despite having visited the place a few times over the past decade I have not personal stake in it. I am at turns courteous or contemptuous of the architecture. I'm looking forward to the day when I can just walk through the neighborhood, but by then my indifference will only have grown.I dislike that area of Manhattan because I recognize it for what it is: an industrial zone for finance.

I have scores of sketches of tall buildings safely tucked away in notebooks. Fortunately, none of them will get built. If a client were to approach me (a deeply insane and disturbed client) and demand a skyscraper, I would most likely decline the job. Actually, probably not--like all architects I can't afford to pass on a commission.

No comments:

Post a Comment