ruminations about architecture and design

Thursday, July 31, 2014

crackpot physics


I'm wondering if any type of elastic reaction in a building material results in permanent creep. If the answer is yes, then the structural performance of a building is a function of stress generated by use and external natural loads. A designer cannot expect a heavily used building in a hot, windy climate to last very long.

A client remarked yesterday that the economy might be overheating. I responded that we are still climbing out of a deep, deep hole. The Boston region seems to be doing okay; in fact it's getting hard to find good contractors for high-end work. Everybody seems to be busy. I don't remember what stupid predictions I might have made earlier, but absent an unknown shock, I think things will be okay for the next year or so.

No comments:

Post a Comment