ruminations about architecture and design

Tuesday, January 13, 2015

andy warhol and open plan offices


I used to work in a drafting pool and it was okay. At the time, my only frame of reference for a desk job was when I was work-study in the Reserve Dept. of my college library. When I moved to a private office I didn't have a sense of promotion--or more accurately, I don't think I felt a sense of promotion. Given the current trend in office planning, my next job will probably be in an open office. I might get a cubicle. I'll probably still get work done.

I wonder how Andy Warhol worked. Did he thrive off a social setting where people were in a constant state of engagement? Did he require solitude from time to time? He strikes me as the type of person who knew when to build a wall around something he was doing. He knew how to reveal things when the impact would be most significant.

An "open office" is both a psychological and architectural construction. Employers who strive for efficiency and productivity set that standard by the field they are conducting their business. Worker happiness falls by the wayside. It's all a factory. (And I just made a Warhol reference without even realizing it)


No comments:

Post a Comment