ruminations about architecture and design

Sunday, January 23, 2011

bridge in quincy


This is a rendering of a possible vertical lift bridge over the Fore River in Quincy. Photo courtesy of the Mass DOT, which has a very good website about the project.
I used to live in this neighborhood and after reading a Boston Globe article on this subject this morning, I am puzzled by some people's concerns about the new bridge. There is nostalgia for the old drawbridge, which cannot be built again for technical reasons. There is also a concern for a bridge that is too large. The neighborhood is home to several docking ports for oil tankers, a powerplant, a factory and the remnants of the Fore River Shipyard. The shipyard used to have one of the largest ship cranes in the world, until it was dismantled a few years ago and sold to company in Europe.
I think a large vertical lift bridge will make a dramatic statement for both Weymouth and Quincy. I hope that it is not merely an engineering structure. The mayor of Quincy is concerned on this note, but like me, I doubt he has much sway in the ultimate decision.
Prediction: They are planning, or will be planning someday, another bridge over the Neponset River on the north side of Quincy. I want to reserve a seat for that show.

No comments:

Post a Comment