ruminations about architecture and design

Tuesday, January 4, 2011

hole for sale in chicago


Well, to be honest, I'm not sure if it's actually for sale, but the owners of foundation for the Chicago Spire skyscraper would probably be willing to entertain offers from motivated buyers.
I have every confidence that this Calatrava designed building will soar towards the sky at some point in the near future. However, I was never that excited by the design. Skyscrapers fill me with a sense of wonder, but not as much as they used to. What I find frustrating about high rises is that the experience of space inside them is almost thoroughly horizontal. Cathedrals and train stations, which have a predominantly horizontal circulation program tend to express a vertical spatial experience much more effectively than tall buildings. Some towers have impressive internal atria, but they tend to be subordinate to the relatively narrow floor plate.

No comments:

Post a Comment