ruminations about architecture and design

Thursday, January 27, 2011

meanwhile, in bulgaria



This is an office & residential project designed by the Bulgarian firm Aedes Studio. It features one of the dominant motifs in contemporary architecture that I like to call the "overlapping block effect." This refers to a geometric condition where one building volume is pierced in a three-dimensional manner by another building volume. I don't know the origin of it, but I want to draw attention to the more interesting theme that motivated this project.
The architects made every dwelling unit different, and sought to express this difference on the outside of the building. It is an effort to create visual wayfinding --a concept that eludes many large scale urban projects (see the recent post on the Kelvin Flats). They made a good try, but I see lots of continuity in the detailing. To really create an individualized dwelling experience you need a different arrangement of building layout which would then be reinforced by individual ownership of units.
That reminds me, I should post another picture of Bath, England.

No comments:

Post a Comment