ruminations about architecture and design

Thursday, April 4, 2013

and how long will this business model last?


Apparently, the Planet Fitness gym model is doing very well. Its rates are considerably cheaper than the gym I go to, but I doubt I would be welcome at a place that is "Judgment Free." I grunt too much and I have a thousand yard stare most of the time. If I were ever hired to design a gym (the odds are against it) I doubt that I would come up with very original ideas. I've ranted about the value of unprogrammed space, but in many urban locations, such a thing wouldn't be consistent with staying in business.

While the gym above has an astonishing amount of useless equipment, the layout is okay--an open floor with relatively generous corridors between exercise machines. I wonder how often they activate the "lunk alarm."

No comments:

Post a Comment