ruminations about architecture and design

Thursday, August 1, 2013

a qualification on the theme


Despite my ravings and ramblings of the past few days, I want to declare that I am not opposed to gestures of monumentality. I consider them to be an essential and worthwhile investment of resources, particularly in urban settings. This building, for instance, helps identify a city that has seen more than its share of hard times. Whether interpreted ironically or not, it serves to decorate a skyline in a manner that is far more effective than the generic, lumpy glass heap of the typical office high rise.

If a building can be economically viable, timelessly iconic, and relatively durable, then a success has been achieved. I classify the Chrysler Building in such a fashion. The World Trade Center--both the past and the present, do not seem to meet that criteria.

No comments:

Post a Comment