ruminations about architecture and design

Monday, August 5, 2013

prediction markets edition #17


"Why this is hell, nor am I out of it"

I predict that Homs will be rebuilt someday, but under what political conditions, I can't begin to fathom. I also predict that the hurricane that devastates Boston within the next thirty years will catch us quite unprepared. The people who I will hold most responsible for whatever state of unpreparedness we happen to be will be the executives of the major utility companies. They will not have made the critical improvements and investments in redundancy that will enable a better recovery. The MBTA will be largely unoperational for over a month, with some subway lines closed even longer. Bus service will pick up much of the slack but the city will take about five years to recover. That's actually not too bad.

No comments:

Post a Comment